An unfortunate car accident can have distressing consequences. Such accidents, crashes, and collisions are often reported in Colorado every month. Following a similar mishap, you may find yourself dealing with many things at the same time – pain from injuries, impending medical bills, loss of wages, and lost earning opportunities. If the accident happened because someone was negligent behind the steering wheel, you must consider filing a personal injury claim/lawsuit, as Colorado is an at-fault state. For that, hiring an attorney might work in your favor. In this post, we are sharing more on hiring a car accident lawyer Colorado Springs.
- Ask around. If you have friends, colleagues, neighbors, or acquaintances, who have worked with accident lawyers in the past, you can ask for references. When that’s not an option, Google can help in finding best-rated attorneys in your area.
- Schedule a free initial consultation. Even the top accident lawyers in Colorado Springs would be happy to offer a free initial evaluation for your case. The first meeting with an attorney can help in understanding your circumstances, and if you have a valid claim in the first place.
- Discuss the possible outcomes. For many accident claims, lawyers may advise clients to settle out of court, or accept a fair amount from the insurance company, without being aggressive. While for other cases, the lawyer may want to take the matter to trial, if negotiations fail. Ask the lawyer what they think of the possible outcomes.
- Ask about fee. Many attorneys do not charge a fee for car accident lawsuits, until and unless they win. This kind of contingency fee arrangement is always handy for victims dealing with injuries and financial losses. However, there can be other costs and out-of-pocket expenses, which must be discussed too.
- Be realistic. As a client, you have to manage your expectations when you meet an accident attorney for the first time. The immediate goal of your attorney is to maximize the settlement amount, and therefore, they may often have to be direct and rather harsh in their ways of handling the case. Your attorney is not your therapist- don’t expect them to help in other ways.
Finally, do make sure that an attorney is experienced, available, and reliable. You can always ask for references and details of their top cases and settlements, but do check for independent reviews posted online too. A good attorney is your biggest asset in getting a fair settlement.