You will get lots of information regarding Zithromax when you go through different newswires and articles published in medical journal or even follow different presentations of medical conferences. Manufactured by Pfizer, this medication was approved in June 1996 to be used for specific treatments for MAC or Mycobacterium Avium Complex in people suffering from advanced HIV infection.
There are also several other therapeutic areas of Zithromax that includes immunology as well as Hepatology that involves liver, pancreatic, and gall bladder. In addition to that Zithromax can also be used to treat several other infections and infectious diseases.
Ideally, you will need to take Zithromax once in a week and its recommended dosage is 1200 mg, which means you will need to take two 600 mg tablets.
The clinical results
A lot of clinical trials are conducted to document the effects of Zithromax. It is found that the once in a week dos of this medication can reduce prophylaxis and the risk of developing of the MAC bacteria significantly in the bloodstream. It is also effective to reduce all the clinical signs and symptoms that are associated with MAC infection.
There are two double-blind and randomized trials conducted on people suffering from advanced HIV infection. Bothe these trails demonstrated that Zithromax was very effective in reducing the disseminated MAC from developing. In one of these clinical studies, the scientists compared Zithromax with rifabutin as well as the combination of these two agents.
- In this large and pivotal double-blind study it was revealed that there is a significant statistical difference that favors Zithromax when it was tested on patients experiencing increasing incidence rate of disseminated MAC for the past one year.
- In addition to that it also showed that the combination of Zithromax and rifabutin therapy proved to be much more effective and result driven as compared to the therapy that involved rifabutin as a mono agent.
When these results were compared with the drug interaction studies done formally, it demonstrated that Zithromax can be safely, most effectively and concomitantly used with several different medications without having to make any dosage adjustments.
Though you may not find any strong data currently that will prove and evaluate the simultaneous use of Zithromax along with the protease inhibitors recently approved, you can use this medication safely with a large number of other medications that are prescribed for patients suffering from advanced HIV infections and may include Zidovudine, Rifabutin and Didanosine.
Information regarding the side effects
Just like all medicines have side effects if you do not follow the instruction of your doctor or that are printed on the label and overdose yourself, Zithromax or Azithromycin too will show some ill effects of such adventurous intake of the medication.
However, clinical tests showed that the overall side effects experienced by the patients treated with Zithromax was mainly mild to moderate in nature with no long term or serious consequences. The most common types of side effects revealed in the tests included:
- Abdominal pain
- Nausea and
- Loose stools.
There were a few patients that also showed some signs of gastrointestinal side effects however, the tests did not show any significant difference statistically in the discontinuations due to such side effects experienced by the treatment groups.
Therefore, if you follow the instructions of its usage, the dosage limits and are not hypersensitive to erythromycin, Azithromycin, or any macrolide antibiotic, you can take Zithromax to enjoy the best results as it is proven and supposed to deliver.
Outcome measure for common systemic bacterial infection
MAC is considered as the most common systemic bacterial infection in people suffering from advanced AIDS accounting almost to 50% of such patients. According to the estimates of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, almost one in every four persons affected with AIDS is supposed to have disseminated MAC.
This is actually caused by the M Avium Bacterium. When infected with disseminated MAC the common symptoms of such infection are:
- Night sweats
- Abdominal pain
- Weight loss and
- Chronic diarrhea.
However, when treated with Zithromax there are different outcome measures noticed that can be categorized as primary and secondary outcome measures.
The primary outcome measures of the clinical tests on bacteriological effect were observed and the adverse events of the causal relationship with the treatment with the investigational product were reported. Few of these were the unlisted treatments that are related to the adverse events and all these inveterate with the recorded adverse drug reaction.
This resulted in the secondary outcome measures for the significant risk factors in both male and female are enumerated below:
- It was found to be more in people aging 65 years or more
- The common type of infection treated included skin and soft tissue infection, dental and oral surgery infection, or sexual transmitted infection
- It depends on the severity of infection whether it is mild, moderate, or severe
- It also depends on the fact whether or not the patient is suffering from hepatic dysfunction or any renal dysfunction
- It is also highly dependent on the past medical history of the patient, any other complications or has any prior antibiotic treatment history
- The concurrent drugs taken along with also increased the risk factor of Azithromycin along with any other non-drug therapy that may be taken by the patient
- Patients with Treatment Related Adverse Events or TRAEs were at a higher risk level as well which is predominantly found in people above 65 years.
In spite of all these risk factors, the researchers still say that Zithromax is the most effective medication that can be used to treat MAC infection. It is all due to the active substance included in it. You will not have to worry about the side effects because according to the primary and secondary outcome measures it is only the people with specific medical conditions and of a specific age are at a risk only.
Therefore, log on to RXShopMD.com in full confidence if you want to use Zithromax and get relief from MAC infections.