What is Postinor 2?
Postinor 2 is also known as Levonorgestrel. It is a drug that derived from a medication family called progestin. Progestin is a female sex hormone that is usually used in birth control pills together with the hormone estrogens. Postinor 2 is a progestin-only pill that is used as a contraceptive pill. In fact, this pill is used as an emergency birth control pill and is widely known as an early morning pill. It comes in a tablet form and can be found in almost any pharmacies in this world.
How does it work?
Postinor 2 works by delaying ovulation (a process where ovum is made) or by preventing fertilization of the egg. Besides that, it is also believed that it can prevent implantation into the endometrium (inner lining of the uterus) by altering the endometrium’s lining. It is important to know that once the egg is implanted in the endometrium, Posinor 2 will not be able to prevent birth control anymore. This is why Postinor 2 needs to be taken within 72 hours unprotected sexual intercourse. It will not cause any abortion or give any harm to the fetus if taken after 72 hours. It is most effective when taken during the first 24 hours. Postinor 2 usually lasts in the body for 3 days, but it can go on to last for 5 days. However, it is not as effective as the first 3 days anymore.
What are the precautions?
Before taking this medication, your doctor will ask you about any related health information that he/she needs to know. Besides, it is your responsibility to tell everything about yourself to your doctor in order to help smoothen the consultation process. Be sure to inform them about any significant health facts from yourself. This information might be needed for your doctor to access your condition. Here are some precautions and warnings that you need to know before taking this medication.
1. This medication loses its effectiveness for a person over the weight of 75 kilograms (kg). Contact your doctor for any inquiry regarding the use of this pill if your weight is more than 75 kilograms (kg).
2. Some women with diabetes reported that they lose a considerable amount of glucose in their blood after taking this pill. You should monitor your glucose level closely if you are diabetic.
3. It is still not clear whether this drug can affect your liver or not. For any enquiry, please contact your doctor for more information regarding this matter.
4. This pill does not protect you from a sexual transmitted disease. Wearing a latex condom during sexual intercourse is the best precaution that you can choose.
5. This pill should not be taken during pregnancy as it will not have any effect. It will not cause abortion or harm the fetus.
6. Postinor 2 is found to be safe to use for women who are breastfeeding. It will not affect the mother and also the infant at all.
What are the side effects?
Every drug will have its own side effects and the same goes for Postinor 2.This include:
3. Headache or Migraine
4. Breast tenderness
5. Abdominal pain
8. Irregular or heavy menstrual bleeding
Some patients reported these side effects, but some might not have it at all. It all depends on the person’s body. If you think you are not able to tolerate the side effect, it is recommended for you to meet your doctor as soon as possible in order to discuss possible treatments.